Strep throat...ugh

I got a text from one of my good girlfriends from Jacksonville, whom I hang out with frequently. She was letting me know that she had strep throat. Bummer! I thought to myself, that's no fun. Well last night I felt a bit of a sore throat, by the time tonight rolled around the sore throat had got worse. So since my friends had told me she had strep I thought, gee, I'd better go get this checked out. However, I waited a little too long to come to this conclusion and had to go to an ER. My mother and brother in laws were nice enough to go with me. And surprisingly the wait wasn't long and alas, strep throat. Well, in the end I'm glad that I went and now I have some antibiotics to kill it off.

This, naturally, made me think of the last time I had strep. It's such a great story. My girlfriend, Ariane and I were on an amazing backpacking trip through Europe. We were in a beautiful little town in Croatia. I started feeling bad one night and the next morning I could hardly swallow. So we ventured out on the town to find a doctor that might speak some English. We didn't find one, but apparently swollen tonsils need no explanation. He sent me up to the hospital to start a three day round of penicillin injections. So the next three days we found ourselves making our way up a steep hill with the penicillin in hand, because for some reason I had to take it with me.

On the first day I was feeling pretty awful. We had a cab take us there and when we were ready to go figured we'd use my cell to call another. But, of course, there was no service, so we started walking. I soon realized that I did not have adequate strength to carry me the whole way. Ariane saw me staggering a bit and was looking for a shaded tree she could stash me under when I fainted and she had to run for help. Luckily by this point two Australian women we had been chatting with drove by and offered us a ride.

Ariane was such a trooper. She even hiked up and back to our room we had rented in a peeping tom's apartment to bring both of our bags so we could go get a hotel room with tv and air conditioning. I proceeded to watch old Oprah reruns and Ghost Busters. She would bring me smoothies and check on me. She was a great nurse and an even more amazing friend. At least we can laugh about it now. And let's be honest, it's a great story.

Comments