Togetherness (is that a word?)

There's something I've been thinking about lately. I hear a lot through crappy reality TV, magazines, etc. about significant others not leaving each other's sides. How being apart from each other for one night isn't in their realm of thoughts. Not only do they not spend nights apart, but they think that it's important not too. And they always say in this condescending way that 'it's fine if other people spend time apart, but that's not what WE believe in.'

I get so annoyed when I hear statements like that. Some of us spend months away from our spouses, it's not easy, and it's not something we choose. I know that it shouldn't be something that bothers me. My husband is out serving his country with thousands of other sailors. I don't think that any of them would rather be at sea than at home with their spouses.

I guess I would even say I'm on the other side of the argument. I don't want my husband to be away for months at a time, but in some ways it's exciting as well. I miss him like crazy. I think about all the good memories we have and the ones we've yet to make. I have a countdown calendar going from day one. When that time gets closer I get more and more excited.

Then the day arrives. I try to find things to keep me occupied. Get our home as clean and welcoming as possible Then I get ready, fix my hair just right, put my make-up on, find the perfect outfit. Then I go to the base, watch the ship come in, and wait. And wait. All the while my stomach is in knots and I'm giddy with excitement. Then I watch him come off the ship and walk toward me. A smile breaks out on my face, and I run to him. That first hello in person is indescribable.

I guess the moral of the story here is to make the best out of ever situation. Sometimes that's hard to do, but well worth it in the end. One thing I've learned is that when you have a good attitude it makes life easier.

Comments