Yikes! I'm an adult.

I think that there are certain 'a-ha' moments in your adult life when you realize you're just that, an adult. I've had a couple, like the first time I had to start paying my own insurance. (Ugh, insurance. That's another blog, for another time.) Or suddenly remembering that you're married. You're someones wife! There haven't been a ton of these moments because I'm still a teenage girl at heart. But these past couple weeks I've had a few moments where I realize that I am an adult.

Over the past month I've found out that I need to have a little surgery. Nothing major. I need to get my adenoids out (seriously, why hasn't evolution taken care of the silly things our bodies don't even need), have some polyps removed, and have a little work on my sinus's. I'm so nervous. I haven't had to deal with a lot of pain in my life and this is just about sending me over the edge. But I know that in the end my quality of life will improve dramatically, or at least it better.

Last week I got an estimate from the hospital on what my day surgery would cost me out of pocket. Ten thousand dollars (said in a Dr. Evil voice). Excuse me? Are you kidding? I have insurance (ugh), what in the world is it good for? How am I supposed to make this decision with my husband half way around the world? Think of all the handbags and Italian gelato I could buy with that. Luckily I have a wonderfully supportive, not to mention level-headed husband who adores me. He convinced me that I should get the surgery done at any cost and that I should call my insurance (ugh) company to get more details. Well, turns out I have a $1,000 cap. So all my fretting and anxiousness was over nothing.

Now I can spend all my time and energy being anxious over the surgery alone, and the massive amount of pain I'm likely to be in afterwards.

Comments