Port Calls


I started this blog so that people could follow Patrick and I along our journey, or separate journeys depending on where we are at the time. But since I've started it, it's really only been my journey. So I do apologize, but there is a good reason for that. Patrick is on deployment, he's been gone since the beginning of the year and will be back sometime over the next few months. Of course, he can't divulge where he is at any given time, but he'll often send pictures after he's left. I think that deployments are hard on everyone involved, the sailor that's deployed misses home and the routine that makes up everyday life. But the person at home sometimes feels left behind. Though most of deployment is spent working extremely hard, every couple months or weeks the ship pulls into a port and the sailors are allowed liberty.


I thought that it would be more difficult for me knowing that Patrick would be going on adventures, and exploring new areas without me. But honestly I'm so happy for him. He works so hard on the ship and deserves to go out on the town and have a great time. I especially enjoy when he calls me to update me on what he's been doing and the things he's seen. They have been to Dubai twice and have had some great times. Patrick was able to go off roading on the sand dunes, eat a few nice meals off the ship, and explore Dubai, he even stopped at the spice market to pick up some spices for me.
Though I'd like most of our adventures and travels to be together so that we can have that shared experience, I know that we won't always have that luxury. I've taken a number of trips without him, and he's seen part of the world without me. I'll try my best to include some snippets from his life on the ship, and perhaps brag about him from time to time. Because I am incredibly proud of him. The time apart is difficult and emotionally exhausting, but I really do believe that absense makes the heart grow fonder. I love when I go to pick him up from the ship and my stomach is in knots and my heart is fluttering. Seeing him after time apart is like the first time, everytime.

Comments