Louisiana


This past week my girlfriend Christine invited me to go back home to Baton Rouge with her. As soon as she invited me, I was quick to say yes. I had met her parents before, and was excited to meet the rest of her family. I was also happy to go on a road trip and explore the area. We had a great Easter weekend and her family sure knows how to show guests a good time. I played tourist and they were very gracious hosts.


It was terrific to visit Christine's beautiful home, see the schools she went to, the parks she played at. Every corner held another story and fond memory for her and it was great to see the city she grew up in through her eyes. Christine and her Dad gave me a great tour of LSU, and we visited Mike the Tiger's cage. I don't know who enjoyed that more, two year old Anders or me. There are so many beautiful homes there, with amazing architecture. I left wanting to learn more about Louisiana, and to spend more time there.



Her parents are two of the most caring and compassionate people I've met. They invited me into their home and adopted me as one of their own. Their house was truly my house, and I wanted for nothing. They took me around Baton Rouge and New Orleans, and were fantastic tour guides. One of the aspects of any culture is the food, and boy do they know how to eat in Louisiana. I had gumbo, crawfish, beignets, fried okra, grits. Basically I ate my way through the south.


I was able to spend a few days with one of my favorite toddlers and his adorable cousins. I love being around kids. I think that we can learn so much from them. I love how care-free and loving they are. They find joy and happiness in the littlest things. Though I know that times are not always fun and blissful. There are screaming fits and temper tantrums. After this week I've seen it all. But I think what I've learned is that though it's not always easy, sometimes it's the hard times that make you appreciate the joy even more.



I had to include this short story of our Easter egg hunt. The hunt was on, with over 6o plastic eggs filled with candy. Once the kids knew there was candy in those eggs, the hunt was over, and the kids took a walk down sugar-high lane. Then we crushed their dreams of gorging themselves on candy, and limited their intake to three pieces. This is a great example of the good times and the bad. The faces say it all.



I had so much fun in Louisiana that I'll have to write about New Orleans tomorrow. It's such a wonderful city with so much life.

Comments