Deployment Woes

Being in the Navy, we all know that deployments happen. That's part of being in the military. There's practice in the form of underways, and time spent apart. But those don't compare to deployments. Before Patrick left I was on a roller coaster of emotions. I would get mad at him for the silliest reasons, then I would cry in his lap for half an hour. And when I say cry, what I mean is uncontrollable, heart wrenching sob fests. I would look up at Patrick all splotchy, with tears rolling down my cheeks and snot down my nose. I would make a joke, because that's what I do. I knew I didn't want him to remember me that way, but I needed his comfort.

Saying goodbye to him on the pier was one of the hardest things I've had to do. I watched for well over an hour while they were readying the ship to leave, watched the tugs pull it out, watched as it headed out to sea. I'll never forget that day. It's our first deployment, and it'll be etched in my mind forever. After dropping Patrick off at the ship I went to my car and cried, and cried.

It's been over three months since that day, and now I'm starting to plan for the next chapter in our lives. I'm looking at the days and months ahead with such joy. However, I know that before the end result is here I'm going to struggle a bit. I'm going to do my best to keep everything in order, and remain as cool headed as possible. Thankfully I have amazing friends and family whom I know I can depend on for support and help.

This is the first move I'm planning, and there's so much to do. I wish that Patrick was here to help, and he's doing as much as he can from the ship. I've always been an independent person, which helps. In the end I know that I'll get things done, and dang it, I'll get them done right.

Comments