The Chocolate Cake

Tomorrow is one of my dear friends birthdays. So naturally she is coming over for a (hopefully) fabulous dinner. I love celebrating my friends, whether it's a birthday, a baby shower, a wedding. I also love cooking and having people over for dinner. You'll likely never have the same thing if you come to my house for dinner. I have subscriptions to a ridiculous amount of food magazines and I love cookbooks. There isn't much about food that I don't enjoy.

When I invited my girlfriend over for dinner I wanted to make one of her favorites for dessert. She gave me two choices cheesecake or chocolate cake. I opted for chocolate cake because I don't have a spring form pan. So I spent one of my more productive days at work searching out just the perfect chocolate cake recipe. I fell back on one of my old friends Martha Stewart, and chose a recipe of hers. After all, she hasn't steered me wrong yet. I made my list and checked it twice.

Tonight I come home after a grueling (or boring) workday and started to make the cake. I wanted to make it tonight so that it's still fresh but has more than enough time to cool. That's a crucial step in making cakes of any sort, before you ice them be sure they are completely cool. I look at the recipe and see 1 & 1/2 cups of cocoa powder. S*#%! There's no way that I have that much cocoa powder in this ridiculously small container. Well, I suppose one additional trip to the grocery store at 7:00 on a school night isn't too bad. Alright, alright I'll throw on my jeans, what the heck I'll even put my bra back on.

The trip was a success. I have an entire container full of cocoa powder. Let's get this show on the road. I've measured out the flour, the powder, now for 3 cups of sugar. S*#%! Three freaking cups of sugar. What the heck?!? Who puts three cups of sugar in a cake. Damn you Martha, you're letting me down. I guess it's another trip to the grocery store for me. But this time no bra! Take that.

The second trip was a success and the cake is complete and in the oven filling my apartment with the smell of heaven. Martha let's me know that half way through baking I'm going to need to rotate the pans, even cooking and all that. OK, I can do that. Let's just get this first one... S*#%!!!!!! I curse as my arm grazes the inside of my 350 degree oven. Now I'm sitting here with a burned arm, stocked pantry, and a half done chocolate cake.

This had better be the best damn chocolate cake anyone has ever put in their mouth, throughout all of history and time.

Here's a picture of the finished cake the next day. Please keep in mind that this was my first attempt at a double layer cake, and I need to have a bit more practice. But I'm pretty sure that the cake was a hit. And it was indeed delicious. It may look a bit wonky because I had to put it on my chair to take a picture.

Comments

  1. haha, i hate that moment when you realize you have to go back to the store, and i especially hate putting that damn bra back on! keep on trucking martha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that some things never change...finding that perfect recipe during work hours. Isn't that how the best fish tacos on earth were discovered? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment