Moms and Pops

Well I'm sick again. That's right, for the third time in four months I'm sick. I thought that maybe this time it was allergies but last night I was running a fever, and I don't think you do that with allergies, right? Besides about two years ago I was tested for allergies and the test results were negative. Though if I had to guess what I am allergic to (if I do have allergies), I'd say Florida. Luckily that will change very soon. Or maybe it's my husband being gone. (How many things can I blame on deployment?)

So naturally when you don't feel good, you start feeling a little down and sorry for yourself. I try not to, but sometimes it just happens. My parents and I have had a close relationship for a long time, I won't say always because that's not the case. I was a teenage girl once long, long ago, after all. But for years now we've been close. I talk to my mom nearly every day, and my dad every three days or so. We've always had open communication and they usually know how I'm feeling and what I'm thinking. Sometimes when I start talking I just can't stop, and I don't have much of a filter, making me a pretty honest person. That phrase too much information was probably invented for me.

Today I've been thinking a lot about my parents and how great they are. While I was sitting on the couch watching TV, drinking tea there was a knock on my door. It was around 2 in the afternoon, on a Friday. (Thank goodness for dvr's.) I look through my peep hole just to be sure it's not a burglar or solicitor, but all I could see was an explosion of flowers. My parents, knowing that I was sick yet again sent me a beautiful bouquet of flowers. I think that flowers for no reason are my favorite. The delivery today made my day.


My mom and dad are really great people. I haven't wanted for anything in life and it's due in large part to them. They have always supported me and encouraged me. They gave me enough room to make my own mistakes, but enough knowledge to know right from wrong. If there was anything I wanted or needed I most likely got it. I know it sounds like they spoiled me, and you'd be right, they did. But everything they've ever done for me I'm so grateful for. I've had more opportunities in my life than most people would ever dream of, and it's because of them.

Now we've had our ups and downs, just like every family. I've had struggles, and so have they. And I'm not going to pretend that I don't still get frustrated with them. But we love each other, in the end. We know what's important, and really do love each other unconditionally. I'm thankful to have them as my parents and love them very much. So thanks mom and dad, thanks for the flowers today, and for the amazing life you've helped to give me.

Comments

  1. Emily, you do have awesome parents! They are loving, fun, helpful, wonderful, and the list goes on and on! You are a lucky person, and so are we to get to have them in our lives too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment