Christmas is my favorite.

Every year since we've been here, for the past three years I say to Patrick, 'It just doesn't feel like Christmas here.'  I think Alaska ruined me.  I don't think it'll ever feel like Christmas without snow.  My favorite memories of Christmas's past include: playing outside in the snow with my dogs, my Dad shoveling the snow off of our 10(ish) foot tall deck in two piles and jumping into the middle of them, drinking hot chocolate by the fire with decorations peeking out from every corner of the house, trying to convince my parents to let me open just one more present before Christmas day, riding a bike around the first floor of our house because I couldn't very well go outside to ride it in December in Alaska, baking cinnamon rolls and a breakfast casserole Christmas morning, my Mom going to a local bakery to buy dozens upon dozens of sugar cookies for my friends and I to decorate, and more snow!

This year with Soren's first Christmas quickly approaching I have been doing my best to get into the holiday spirit.  I've enjoyed attending and hosting a few festive events.  And in light of the recent events that have been taking place back in the states, I'll step back and remember what this holiday is all about.  I'll remember to hold my sweet boy a little closer, a little longer.   I'll give him a few more kisses.  I'll tell my husband that he really is perfect for me, that I love him, and that the thought of life without him isn't a life at all.  I'll tell my friends that they are sweet and caring, that I value their friendship and the happiness they give me.  I'll say prayer upon prayer for the many families that I know are going to be suffering this Christmas.  What words can I give them to help them through?  All my words seem empty and unhelpful.

This was not the entry I set out to write when I sat down at the computer, but it is what is on my mind and my heart.  I plan on telling every person how much I love them and how dear they are to me.  I have led a blessed life, the people that I surround myself with are wonderful and lovely.  My parents are generous and kind.  My in-laws are accepting and loving.  My husband is supportive and makes me a better person everyday.  My friends would do just about anything for me, as I would for them.  My son.  My son is my world, my life.  He brings me joy and happiness.  I have unconditional, undying love for him and I will tell him that every single day.

Comments