Christmas Festivities

We've had a fun couple of weeks.  It started in the beginning of December when I volunteered to host a table at 'Night of Noel'.  Every year the Protestant Women of the Chapel (PWOC) put together a beautiful night for women, with candlelight, an amazing dinner, and wonderful conversation.  This was the first year that I have gone, and since my friend is the Event Coordinator this year, I helped out by hosting a table.  What does that mean?  Well, I had to bring dishes, silverware, and glasses for eight settings.  I had to decorate my table, make a dessert, and bring a favor.  At times I felt overwhelmed, but in the end I was so glad that I did it.  We all had a wonderful time.

My table turned out better than I expected.  I was that student in college who would get an assignment for a 40 page research paper in the first week of class due at the end of term, and wait until the night before to actually get it done.  And that's kind of how I approached my table.  I had an idea in my head, and some odds and ends here and there that I brought.  I had a friend on the lookout for burlap, another I borrowed a wreath from, and when I got to the venue two hours before the nights festivities began I threw everything together.  Luckily, for me, it turned out pretty well.  For my favors I made these Candy Cane Biscotti, trust me, make them.

Here's my table:



Then a few weekends ago I decided it would be fun to host a cookie exchange, and guess what?  It was!  I had it on a Saturday morning and I made some brunch, and a few extra cookies.  It was a great success.  I have a Christmas Cookie stash in my freezer, and I didn't spend a ton of time baking this year.  Even though I love to bake, and I will find different opportunities to bake when I can, I've found it has become exceedingly difficult with a little one in tow, but I think that we are starting to get a system down.

'You guys want some cookies?!'



And last but certainly not least last weekend Soren and I had an adventure (Dad wasn't feeling well, so we left him at home).  Some of the small towns here have nativity scenes set up.  They are elaborate, well constructed, beautiful nativity scenes.  They would also be incredibly hard to find on your own.  They are scattered throughout the town attached to apartment homes, and down small alleys.  We had a guide to show us each of the 12 temporary and 1 permanent scenes.  After hiking through the hilly town with Soren strapped to my front I had aching shoulders and a hungry belly.  Our guide took us to his farm, where he produces wine, olive oil, and other delicacies.  He fixed us a wonderful lunch with homemade bread, sausage from his fathers butcher shop, chick-pea soup, and last, but certainly not least, the best canoli I've ever had.  (Name this quote: 'Leave the gun, take the canoli.')




This nativity is all crochet work.








Salvo, our guide for the day.


Comments