Baby A's Nursery

When we found out we were having a boy, I knew that I would have an easier time picking a theme.  I decided, with some help from Patrick, to go with an Alaska theme.  Most of the stuff you buy for nursery's can be made, or aren't necessary.  You aren't even supposed to use the quilts, for goodness sakes.  So I figured with a little (or a lot of help) from my friends and Mom, I could to wing it.  My mom has sent me quite a few things from Alaska, I've started making some bedding, and I've found a few things online.  Patrick has kindly been volunteered to pain a wall in the nursery (it's just too white in there).  

I have always loved white furniture for baby's rooms, and the themes that I had considered before would go swimmingly with white.  For a boy I always liked the preppy sailing theme, and shabby sheek for a girl.  So when my second doctors appointment (many months ago) went well we were off to order our crib and changing table.  They tell you that it can take up to 6 months to get here, so you better do it early.  (Though let's be honest, how much does the baby actually use the crib in the first few months?)  I was even able to get the exact one that I wanted.  Of course now, with the Alaska theme I'm wishing that I had chosen a different color.  But I know that I'm only being particular, and that everything will look awesome when it's done.

My girlfriend Nicole has been a huge help the last couple days.  Not only has she let me use her sewing machine, but she's shown me how to make fitted sheets.  I've done two already, with two more and a bedskirt to go.  There's no way that I could have done this without her, and I appreciate her more everyday, not just for her help but for her longtime friendship as well.

Here's the fabrics that I ordered from a small store in Skagway, AK (of all places):

The top four are going to be made into sheets.  The bottom fabric (which
looks like the ends of cut logs) is going to be the crib skirt.



Here's a close up of this fabric.

Here's the first finished sheet!  (I realized after taking this
picture that you could see my belly and feet in the
bottom.  Even though I took a few more, I kind of
like this one.)




We bought a dresser from IKEA, and I
found these knobs online.

I'll update as the decorating continues.  I'm surprised by how fun sewing can be.  Luckily the sheets are very forgiving, and you don't have to be super precise.  For a starter project, it's a great place to begin.

Comments