The movers came, the movers went....

Well it's official, I'm homeless. On Monday the 21st the movers came and packed up all our belongings, and on Wednesday they came back to pack everything into giant crates that will be shipped overseas to Italy. It was weird to watch all of our belongings being packed and toted away. Thank goodness the Navy pays for movers to come, otherwise I don't think I could do this every 2-3 years.


Although all of the heavy lifting and major tasks are appropriate elsewhere, there is still a lot of work to be done. For instance deciding what I'm going to need for the next couple months, what my deployed husband is going to need, what should be sent over in unaccompanied baggage, sorting through what should go to Goodwill, giving away all of my pantry items, etc. Naturally I waited for the very last minute. In fact this may have been my crowning procrastinating moment, I was working all the way up until the movers came at 8am.

It was so odd to watch all of our things being packed away. What was great (and not all that surprising) was that most of the boxes came from my kitchen, my beloved kitchen gadgets. I have so many now and I love every one of them. I have a purpose for all of the gadgets and truly use every single one. I will miss not having my things to cook with, and look forward to being able to cook for my husband the dishes he loves (which is anything I cook) again.

The movers cane back Wednesday in 96+ degree heat to cart all of our worldly belongings to big wooden crates. Apparently the very hard working (and underpaid) movers get paid more the less crates they use to pack our things into. At first the mover thought 3, maybe 4 crates. In the end it was 5 whole crates, filled to the brim. We lived in a one bedroom, one bathroom apartment. Can you imagine if we had a three bedroom house? I'm sure eventually that will be us, but I'd like to think/hope that we'll keep our belongings to a minimum. I love giving things to the Goodwill, so that likely won't be a problem.

I watched as all our things were driven away and I made my way to Christine's house. I'm so glad that I have really great friends here, three of whom offered a room in their home to me. I wanted to stay somewhere that I would be able to lend a hand and pay my way, if you will. Christine with her toddler and now three and a half week old daughter, was no contest, I knew my help would be much needed and appreciated. And I'm happy to say that I've been helping as much as I can, and enjoying every minute of it.

Comments