Visitors!

Last week was a great week!  Patrick and I had our first overseas visitors.  My friends Lindsey and Stephanie came from Washington to visit.  A few months ago when I told Lindsey I was pregnant she was determined to get over to Sicily.  She knew that she wanted to come visit while we are here, and figured that it would be best to try to make it before the babe arrives.  Lindsey and I first met about 7 years ago while participating in the same study abroad program in Siena, Italy.  We became fast friends and have had a wonderful friendship since.  Stephanie and Lindsey are childhood friends, and we all get along really well.

They arrived on a Saturday evening and left that following Friday.  I came up with day trip ideas and asked for any input they might have.  On Sunday we took it easy and went to a local Agriturismo, where we proceeded to stuff ourselves silly.  On Monday we took off to Catania for an afternoon of wonderful granita and a day at the market.  Tuesday found us in Siracusa and Ortygia.  The girls explored the ruins at Siracusa while I sat at a cafe reading and enjoying some fresh squeezed orange juice.  (Did I mention how ridiculously hot it is here?)  On Wednesday we had an adventure, we took a hydrofoil from Milazzo (northern Sicily) to Lipari the biggest of the Aeolian Islands.  Thursday we returned to Sigonella, but on our way we stopped at Taormina.

I've written about all the other destinations except for Lipari, so I'll fill you in a little on what that was like.  The hydrofoil was about an hour long ride, and 15 Euro each way.  (A bit steep, but worth it if you make a weekend of it.)  Where the ferries now drop you off in the main town in Lipari is anything but picturesque.  In fact when we first arrived and made our way to our hotel we were a bit underwhelmed.  Luckily we had one of the most beautiful hotels with a nice, big, glorious pool.  (Have I mentioned how stinkin' hot it is here?)  We spent the afternoon lounging by the pool and made our way into town later in the evening.  It was lovely!  The town was so picturesque and just beautiful.  There isn't a lot to do there aside from window shop and meander down the streets, but it was very nice indeed.  (Stephanie and Lindsey took all the pics, so when they email them to me I will post some up here.)

It was so wonderful to have Lindsey and Stephanie come visit, though near the end when my ankles were swelling and I was a bit tired, I couldn't quite hang with them.  I tried my best to participate in everything they wanted to do, but when it comes to the heat and being pregnant it gets hard.  I enjoyed their company most of all and look forward to seeing them again, whenever that may be!

I realize that I missed my 18 week photo, so I will post that when I get it (it's on Lindsey's camera).  I'll post the picture that I put on Facebook to 'announce' our pregnancy to that world.  I'll also post my 19 week photo from Taormina.

Coming in January.... Baby Amundson!

19 Weeks

Comments