Sigonella

The Main Stretch on Base
Since we'll be living in temporary lodging (aka The Navy Lodge) for the next two months I thought I'd give you all an idea of what it looks like. There are two bases here in Sigonella, they are about a 10-15 minute drive apart. The bases are both in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by acres and acres of orange orchards. The soil here is very rich from the volcanic activity from Mt. Etna. They grow a lot of produce including oranges, lemons, pistachios, artichokes, grapes, etc.



The Chapel in the foreground
Playground on base
We are currently staying on the newer base, it's small but all of the good stuff is here. Our hotel is close to where our classes are. There is also a bowling alley, movie theater (two screens), gym, swimming pool, commissary, NEX, hospital, library, bank, post office, travel agency, MWR, and the DOD school. The buildings remind me a lot of a college campus, with beautiful stone buildings and nice landscaping. Off in the distance we can see Mt. Etna, in all her glory.




The Navy Lodge is nice, it meets most of our needs fittingly. It's a basic room with a little kitchenette. It's so nice to be able to cook our meals, but there are a couple of downsides. Our room smells like whatever I've cooked, and we only have two burners. I miss an oven. I'm also a recipe kind of girl. I have a hard time coming up with ideas on my own, I need a bit of inspiration. Though Patrick assures me that he loves what I cook, and I'm really my own worst critic.




Overall we're very happy here and though it doesn't quite feel like home it's great for now. The good news is that all of our Household Goods have arrived, so anytime we find a place we will have all our things delivered. I guess it pays to pack and send your stuff a month and a half early.

Comments