House Hunting in Sicily

Yesterday I went on my first house hunting tour here.  It didn't go as well as I had hoped.  I didn't like any of the places that we saw, but I was happy to go along for the ride.  Today, however was a different story.  I was the only one on the housing tour, and I had one of the best, most wonderful tour guides.  She's my new best friend, Monica.  She works in housing and is such a delight.  I don't think that there was a silent moment on our trip there, or back (including a quick stop for coffee).  And the best news!!  We found a place!!!!

When we first got to Sigonella I looked through the database and didn't see many houses I liked, but there was one that stuck out.  I loved the photos and couldn't wait to go see it.  Well, I saw it today, and it's going to be our next home.  It's different than a lot of the houses I've seen here.  It has a lot of personality.  As I was walking through the house I was imagining where everything would go.

It's a duplex, but it's large (for an Italian house).  It's up towards Mt. Etna in a town called Pedara.  It's a wonderful little town with a beautiful town square.  There are two and a half rooms upstairs.  I say half because there is a very small room that's going to be our walk-in closet/study.  There's a bathroom upstairs.  The middle floor (where the front entrance is) has a small living room, a big dining room, a wonderful kitchen (love it!), and another bathroom with a great bathtub.  The downstairs has a garage, laundry room (with another small bathroom in it), storage room, and a huge 'bonus room'.  Another great thing about this place is that they offered us any of the furniture that was in the house to use.  We can choose all or none of it, but I've already thought about the pieces I want to take.  And there's a great outside patio, with a great yard. 

We won't be able to move in for another few weeks because housing is a little busy.  But the good news is we don't have to keep looking.  I'm so excited about it.  Patrick is excited too, although he wasn't able to go with me.  He loves me so much that I'm not sure if his excitement is because he likes the place, or because I'm so happy and excited.  It's likely a little of both. 

Here are some photos.  Some of them are a little dark because I was taking them towards the sun.  There's also a wonderful patio outside our bedroom.  (I see lots of entertaining in our future, I hope.)

Front of House




Living Room
Kitchen

Kitchen

Dining Room

Master Bedroom
Basement
Church in Pedara
Main Square in Pedara

Comments

  1. Yay!! How exciting to find a place that you love to live in. I can't wait to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment