Sigonella, Italy!

After nearly 28 hours of traveling and 4 flights we made it to Sigonella Wednesday afternoon. It was an exhausting day, but we survived. We left from Jacksonville to Norfolk, and from Norfolk we took an AMC (military) flight to Sigonella. Luckily Nicole and Lew had taken one over as well so I wasn't too worried. The plane was a commercial plane that the military contracts out to. There were meal services and movies, so I wasn't starving or bored (lucky for Patrick).

I passed the time by reading my new Kindle. And let me tell you, it's brilliant. I love it. When e-readers came out in my mind I was thinking, 'I'll never get one of those.' I'm an avid reader and pass many hours reading (though lately I've had other things to occupy my time). I love going to book stores and perusing the titles and interesting covers. I love the feeling of finishing a book and the excitement of picking out my next title. However, there's something to be said about having multiple books on the same device. The convenience is unparalleled. I'm on my third book in one week and all I've had in my bag is a device that is the width of a pencil. (I would like to rant about one thing. I bought my Kindle about 3 weeks ago and soon the next generation coming out. Ahh, technology.)

I'm sorry for that tangent. All things considered our flights went well and I think Patrick and I only wanted to kill each other about 4 times. I think that we tried our best to be patient and kind to each other, but when you're that tired sometimes disagreements are unavoidable. I love being able to travel with someone. Over the last few years most of the flights I've taken have been alone. Don't get me wrong, I'm usually best friends with my neighbor by the end of the flight, but it's nice to actually fly with my best friend and cuddle up to him when I'm cold (I don't like to do that with strangers).

Once we got to Sig our cherished friends Nicole and Lew were here to pick us up. I may have mentioned Nicole before, but I'll reacquaint you if that's not the case. I met Nicole freshman year in Landers dorm. We became friends, but over the last few years our friendship has grown and grown. And now after 6 years of living in different towns we are once again living in the same area, and that happens to be Italy. Nicole has become a great source of information and advice. Her wonderful husband Lew (with whom we also went to college) is also a supply officer. He's been in for about two years longer than Patrick, so most of what I've been through so has Nicole, just a little before me. I'm so thankful to have her in my life and so happy to be able to have this time with her.

After we arrived they brought us to our temporary home, the Navy Lodge. We are going to stay here until we find a place to live (off base, if I have my way). When we came up to our room Nicole had stocked our kitchenette with some snacks and water (thank you!!). Patrick and I were pretty wrecked, but it was nearing 4 o'clock so we figured it would be best if we stayed awake. We settled in a little bit and showered. Nicole and Lew came back to pick us up and we went to dinner. A cute little Irish Pub that serves Italian food, go figure.

We had a lovely first day and are so looking forward for all the days to come.

Comments