Caltigirone

Patrick is very hard working.  He leaves early in the morning and doesn't return until late at night.  Me?  I'm not so hard working.  I don't have an awful lot to do and spend most of my days reading, doing some yoga, and watching TV.  I'm not taking as full advantage of this opportunity as I should be.  Though in my defense, I want my partner in crime (my husband) to have most adventures with me.  So when Saturday rolls around and Patrick is home I'm chomping at the bit to do something fun.  But my darling husband has worked a 60ish hour work week and wants some time to relax.  He wants to hang in the recliner, playing Black Ops, and enjoying his day off.

I've been very understanding, ok perhaps not 'very', but understanding enough and last weekend I let him know that we were doing something.  I've wanted to head southeast of here to a little town called Caltagirone for a while, so that's just what we did.  We had a wonderful time driving through the countryside and exploring this little town.  If I have my way most of our free Saturdays will be spent traveling to towns throughout Sicily.

Caltagirone is best known for the production of pottery.  Which is certainly one of the reasons I wanted to go, and likely why Patrick planned our trip around riposa (more on that later).  One of the most famous sites in the town is a staircase, but not just any staircase.  This staircase has 142 steps, and each step has a set of ceramic tiles at the base.  It's really quite lovely, and a small hike.



Patrick and I arrived at the city around one in the afternoon.  After driving through the city and finding a place to park we ventured through the streets.  We found a little bar (a bar is a cafe here) to sit down and enjoy a light lunch.  Afterwards we checked out the few sites there were to see.  Mostly I wanted to check out the ceramic shops.  I'd love to get a few things for our kitchen before we leave, and there's no better place to start.

However, in Italy there is a riposo, everything in nearly every town closes down between 1-4.  They have a big lunch, a bit of a nap, and go back to work.  For Americans this is a very difficult concept to comprehend.  Why in the world would you close down your shop at a prime time in the afternoon?  Sometimes it can be a bit frustrating.  But this is tradition, and the way things are done.  When in Rome, right?  I think that Patrick really planned it this way, I could only spend a minimal amount of money, and could only window shop.

After climbing the famous stairs (with not another soul in sight), we made our way back to our car and returned home.  It was a lovely afternoon spent with an even lovlier husband (whom I adore).


Comments

  1. I still maintain that we went during roposo because that's when the town looks the prettiest.

    I do love Black Ops...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment