Taormina

On Saturday (Oct. 23) we took a much needed day trip to a town about 30 minutes away from us called Taormina.  This is one of the towns that people rave about.  In Sicily where the landscape and towns are much different than what you imagine when you think of Italy, this town is a gem.  It's romantic, mysterious, beautiful, and fun.  There is one main drag where only local cars are permitted to drive, and shooting off along the sides are little alleys leading to cute stores and many (many) restaurants. 


 I have been in a bit of a funk lately, to say the least.  I'm trying my best to 'fake it, until I make it', however, it has been a struggle.  I've been feeling very alone and isolated up in our house on Mt. Etna.  We have one neighbor who is very nice, but hardly speaks any English.  Hopefully I will meet more people around the area, and not feel quite so alone.  Patrick has been very understanding and supportive.  I know that he hopes I will be back to my old self soon, and I do as well.    



That is why this trip was a good get away.  We got out and did something.  We went to this beautiful jewel by the sea and basked in the glory of the day.  We meandered through the streets, had lunch, some gelato (some of the best pistachio I've had yet), took pictures, window shopped, checked out an amazing Greek amphitheater, and enjoyed each other to the fullest.


The Greek amphitheater is wonderful.  Though it's not as big as the one in Siracusa, the view is mesmerizing.  It's perched atop a cliff with ocean views as the backdrop.  The theater was built in the 3rd century BC, with likely one of the most dramatic settings you will ever see.  What I love is that in summer it's still used for concerts.  In fact Elton John played here earlier this fall.  Sitting in the nearly empty theater I could almost see the toga-clad crowds from long ago, perhaps enjoying a play by Plautus. 

Not a bad backdrop.


After enjoying our day in Taormina we left the town feeling refreshed and excited to one day soon return there again.  I couldn't imagine a better day made infinitely better by spending it with the one I love.

Comments