Rome - Day 1

Patrick had four days off for Labor Day weekend, so the week before I thought it would be a good idea to go somewhere.  I started doing some research and found a great deal on Rome.  It was such a wonderful weekend.  We flew there early in the morning on Friday (only an hour and a half flight).  As soon as we got in we dropped off our luggage and hit the road running.  And over the next three days we walked over all of the Centro Storico area of Rome

Our first stop was the Vatican museums to see the Sistine Chapel, and Saint Peter's Basilica.  I was so happy to take Patrick all around and experience Rome with him.  I had a list of all the places we had to go while we were there, and the Sistine Chapel was at the top.  It is one of the most amazing pieces of work that I've ever seen, nearly every time I've been to Rome I've walked through it.  I can't imagine what Michelangelo went through to paint the ceiling.  He worked standing on scaffolding with his head leaned back for four years, it's reported that it took a year and a half for his neck muscles to go back to normal. 


Saint Peter's Basilica

After the Sistine Chapel we went through to Saint Peter's Basilica.  That's where Michelangelo's Pieta sculpture is.  I was 12 when I first went to Rome and saw this sculpture, and I still remember it.  I remember how it took my breath away, even at that young age.  I was so amazed by it, it's truly one of the most beautiful pieces of artwork I've ever seen.  And every time I see it, it still amazes me. 


Pieta

Next on the list was Piazza Navona.  This is a beautiful square with three fountains, the most famous being The Fountain of the Four Rivers.  What I loved best about this piazza is all the original artwork that is for sale.  There were about 20-25 artists selling their art.  Most were oil on canvas, and some watercolors.  They were absolutely beautiful.  We didn't buy one this time, but hopefully next time we'll pick up a piece.


Fountain of the Four Rivers

After a nice lunch where we sat down and rested our feet for a bit we went on to two churches near the piazza.  I went to these churches when I was studying in Italy six years ago.  What I love best about churches around Rome is the artwork.  In one church you may find a painting by Caravaggio, in the next a sculpture by Bernini.  It is magnificent, an art lovers paradise.  In these churches there were paintings by Caravaggio, one of my favorite artists, and Patrick's too. 

We continued on our tourist walk of Rome heading to the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain, and the Spanish Steps.  We finished our night there, people watching and enjoying the cool Rome night.  Our first day was a blast and we were happy to get up and do it again.




Comments