Barcelona Day 1

Over Memorial Day weekend we took a trip to Barcelona, and it was wonderful.  We just stayed in the city and explored what it had to offer.  I told Patrick when we were making arrangements that we were only going to Barcelona, no side trips.  Hopefully we will be able to go back someday, but with a toddler, traveling can be a tad more challenging and tiring.  (Though please don't let this deter you from traveling with kids.  Soren has always exceeded my expectations and is an awesome traveler.  My advice, Just go.  Just do it.)

Soren with a little reading material
in the airport.

On the first morning we woke in our apartment near the port and walked to Las Ramblas a famous, beautiful, and incredibly pedestrian friendly road in Barcelona.  First thing was to find some breakfast, and we happened upon the famous La Boqueria market in Spain.  My dear friend Nicole told me all about it, and I couldn't wait to check it out.  Luckily we were able to take advantage of this market twice during our stay.  In the early morning workers get to their booths to start preparing food and amazing fruit cups and smoothies.  My first smoothie (Coconut/Mango, I think) became a casualty to my son.  He had one sip and would not give it back.  There are counters that have beautiful and delicious spanish tortillas (an egg dish, similar to a fritata, or a crustless quiche), that we were able to enjoy on our last day.

Smoothies

Soren has a love affair with fruit, so he
enjoyed this market very much.




Delicious tortillas

Soren really liked the tortilla 

A quiet little breakfast spot.

Then we went to Starbucks where Soren flirted with some Italian ladies.  While in the market I saw a woman with a cup, and I stopped to ask her where the Starbucks was located.  I always feel like explaining to people, 'It's not like we're these Americans that just have to have Starbucks because it's the best.  It's just that we live in Italy, where surprise, surprise Starbucks doesn't exist.  And sometimes it's just nice to have something familiar.  So please don't judge me in my American-ness for needing this right now.'  (PS- I don't even drink coffee.)  But then I realize that if they have the cup then they obviously needed their 'fix' too.




I often wonder what Soren's stories are about.  I'm sure they're good!

Soren's new friend.

We then went down to Plaza Catalunya and grabbed the Hop on/Hop off bus.  Our first stop was Gaudi's house, the Batilo.  A quick stop at the Sagrada Familia (The Sacred Family), a church that Gaudi started to construct before his death, and is still an ongoing project.  It is certainly a sight to behold, though not really my cup of tea (I'm sorry!).  Then a quick stop for some monster bubbles in the park, a lunch of tappas (naturally), and then on to the zoo.  It was a packed, but delightful day.

Sagrada Familia






Soren and Patrick checking out the flamingos.


Comments