Malta Day 2 and 3

When we were at the tourist office on our first day, they mentioned the town Marsaxlokk, which is known for the very colorful fishing boats.  They also mentioned that every Saturday there's a big market.  Later I looked it up, and indeed the tourist sites spoke of this market.  Needless to say I was excited, however, I was very underwhelmed.  It was like all the markets I've been to ALL around Italy. I'm sure that there are indeed some wonderful markets, I've yet to be to one.  I'm sure at some point they used to be awesome now they sell produce (which is awesome, if that's what you're looking for), they also sell cheap, generic, ill fitting clothes, shoes, underwear, kitchen items, soap, junk (lots and lots of junk).  And sadly that was exactly what this market was.  And it was packed, like too packed, like anxiety attack packed.  If you go to Marsaxlokk go on a different day.  Not only will you avoid the market, but I bet you'll get an amazing view of the bay and it's colorful, beautiful boats.







We stopped for a wonderful lunch in one of the main squares in Valletta and Soren got to play in the fountain, which he loved.  After that we took another public bus to Mdina, this was an area I wish that we had arrived at earlier, and explored more.  There is an old medieval walled part of the city which is stunning.  It's also home to the catacombs where St. Paul stayed when he was shipwrecked in Malta. The catacombs were also used as a bomb shelter during WWII.





Statue where St. Paul stayed.

On the last day we had the morning to check out the newer part of the island.  It was much like Sicily, tall apartments, stores on the bottom, kind of blah.  The view across the water onto Valletta is beautiful though. And there was a really nice large sidewalk near the water so we took a stroll, went to a mall, had some lunch and got on our way.




For my father-in-law.  They are seriously everywhere!


Comments