A Long Weekend in Malta

Over a month ago it was nearing Patrick's birthday weekend, which happened to fall on President's day, a nice long weekend.  On a Tuesday we decided to take a trip to Malta that Friday to Monday.  We went thinking it would be a nice, relaxing, spa weekend.  We were wrong.  Malta may be small, but she is mighty.  There is so much to see and do there.  The first morning we were there we cancelled our spa appointments, and sadly we never were able to find the time (I guess that means Patrick owes me a spa weekend).

In my family (both immediate and extended) I'm known as the 'travel agent', one of my many hats.  I typically spend some time researching places to stay, things to do, etc.  Well with such short notice I wasn't able to take my time, and it sure showed on this trip.  First of all I booked this hotel.  There were many things I didn't like about it, but the staff were so friendly it almost made up for it.  It is a 5 star hotel, but it is so dated, and needs a lot of work to be called a 5 star hotel.  It was in the middle of a residential area with no restaurants, or really anything nearby.  It was also supposed to have a 'convenient' shuttle service into town, but it only ran once a day to and from the hotel.  Malta is a small island, island, meaning surrounded by water.  Seriously, stay by the water.   

Enough about that, on the first town we explored Valletta a beautiful city on the water.  We were a little flustered at first as we really had no information, no map, no orientation, but luckily my hubby is smart and he asked a shuttle driver for a map.  The driver was more than helpful and even pointed us in the direction of the tourist office.  After strolling the streets we went to St. Johns Cathedral in Valletta, and I was completely overwhelmed by the grandeur.  Everything was gold, floor to ceiling.  Soren's favorite was watching some laborers take down very tall scaffolding from some restoration work they were doing.  I'll admit, it was fun to watch.




Enjoying a waterfront park.  


Malta has had an interesting history.  It was a British Colony for around 200 years.  Which is nice for English speaking travelers because nearly everyone speaks English, there are also a lot of ex-pats who live and travel there.  It was also a large presence in WWII, and they have a wonderful museum dedicated to just that.  It was one of the better WWII museums I've been to (though I don't suppose I've been to many).  Patrick really enjoyed looking through everything, and so I did my best to keep Soren occupied, which can be a bit tricky at times.


I think that Soren would have gladly hopped in.

Learning lots.

This is what a street in Valletta looks like.  It reminded me a bit
of the MidEast meets New Orleans meets Paris.  

Plenty of time for playing.

There was a large fountain that had a water
and music show.



Poor pigeons.

The guardian of my heart.  

I would just like to have a look at this baby, see how the other half live.

Comments