The big move

After many agonizing weeks of debate and self loathing (on my part), we decided to move.  Patrick was growing tired of my ever changing moods, and my nights of welcoming home with alligator tears in my eyes.  Moving here I had expectations.  Expectations of Sicily, of the home I was dreaming of in my head, the town we might explore.  What I've come to realize is that sometimes, oftentimes, it's best to go into new undertakings with no expectations.  I think that in the end you'll come out happier.

I'm not saying that I don't love Sicily, I do.  Well perhaps love is a strong word.  Sicily and I are just getting to know each other, it started out rocky, but we're still dating.  We'll see where things might lead, today it's looking up.  There are many beautiful places to visit, new food to taste, pistachio gelato to eat, and people to meet.

While sitting in the Atlanta airport waiting to board my plane to Rome on my return trip home, I spoke with Patrick.  He let me know that he had picked out a prime piece of real estate in Maranai (base housing), that we would check in there on Monday, pack out and move on Wednesday, and check out of our 'old' house on Friday.  I have to admit that I was reeling a bit, but happy.  I'm still much happier, but I'm feeling a bit guilty about the decision to move.  I keep thinking that maybe if I'd just stuck it out.   Silly Emily, get over it!  It's much better to be happy.

In some ways I feel disappointed in myself, and that I'm going to be missing out on the Sicilian way of life.  I honestly think that with a little bit of time I'll start to feel much better.  I'll get over the feelings of failure, and learn to love my new neighborhood.  And I do already, I love having a bigger shower, central heat and a/c, dual voltage, people I can talk to near by, proximity to both bases, and an all around 'homier' feeling house.

This whole 'should we?/shouldn't we' move thing has also been a good experience for me.  I'm still new to this marriage AND Navy thing.  The two added together can be overwhelming at times.  I know a few new things now.  1) Don't be pressured by ANYONE (including yourself) to find a place to live, especially in a foreign country.  2) Definitely include your very loving and supportive husband in decisions (as long as he's around, and not deployed.)  3) Take your time, enjoy the experience, weigh every single pro and con (try to come up with as many hypotheticals and include those as well.) 4) Some of the best advice one of my good friends told me was, 'You make the best possible decision at the time, with the information available.'  Sometimes in the end the best possible decision may turn into the worst possible decision.  But happiness is far more important than the judgement of others.  5) Be patient and accept yourself for the person you are.

Once I've really set up the house (I'd like to do some painting, hang some things on the wall, and there are still a couple boxes) I'll post some pictures.

Comments

  1. Good luck with the move! You're learning a lot right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! We will PCS to Sig this summer and plan to live in Maranai, as well. How long did you have to wait for housing after you applied? Feel free to email me at damsel AT damselandfamily DOT com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment