Six weeks in the US and a move

About two weeks ago I got back from a long trip to the states.  I was missing home something fierce, and was happy that some of my time home could also be spent nursing my mom from hip replacement surgery. I suppose that's why I haven't written in a while, oh and we moved (more on that later).  I apologize.  I realize that in the blogging world if you go radio silent for more than, oh say, five days you are dead in the water.  I hope that for those of you who do sometimes frequent this online journal you'll forgive me and will come back.

My first three weeks in the states was spent in my beautiful home state of Alaska.  It's funny I really haven't lived in Alaska, aside from summers home from college, since graduating in 2001.  I have lived many other places, some around the world, and yet I still call Alaska home.  For those of you who live there, or have travelled know how lucky I am to call myself an Alaskan.  The pride that we have for our state is unlike any other.  My trip home was wonderful.  I left feeling refreshed and happy, truly happy.  I had a few 'breakthrough' moments that were good for my heart and soul.

My next stop was to Washington and a very brief overture in Portland.  I was able to spend some quality time with one of my absolute favorite people, my Grandma.  She's an amazing woman, whom I cherish and love very deeply.  I was also able to spend an awesome weekend in Seattle (a city that I miss dearly) with my girlfriends.  And because I didn't know when I'd be in that part of the world again, I made a quick trip to Portland to visit some friends.

My last stop was to Jacksonville, FL.  Who would have thought that I'd be living in Sicily jonesing for some time back in Jacksonville, one of my least favorite cities.  But of course it most certainly was not the city I was missing but my friends, who are sometimes also family.  My girlfriends and I were able to get away for the weekend to have a girls trip to Disney World and Universal Studios.  It was a total blast, and we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.  I really do love that place!

In the last few months a couple things have become crystal clear to me.  I've found that the hardest part (for me) about being in the Navy (ok, I'm not actually in the Navy, but in some ways I am), is not the deployments. When your spouse leaves it is utter agony, but somehow the time flies until their impending arrival is a few short days away .  Don't get me wrong the separation isn't easy, and hardly enjoyable, but your husband is stuck with you.  I know that Patrick and I will have many years together, so what's a few months?  But it's leaving your friends and family.  Your friends that are scattered throughout the states, maybe even the world.  Those friends you make along the way whose husbands are in the Navy as well, you may never live in the same state again, let alone the same city.

When your husbands are gone you begin to rely on your friends for, well, everything.  They become your shoulder to cry on, a person to laugh with, someone to help you cook dinner, or scold your child, the person/people you depend on to care for you after a major surgery, a date on Saturday night.  There is a bond that is formed that is hard to describe, and certainly harder to sever.  I'm so thankful for these friendships, and yet they cause me pain.  Why must we say goodbye?  How do you say goodbye?

I cherish all of my friendships dearly.  To me, it's not about quantity but about quality.  I know that every single one of my friends, whether they be in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Rhode Island, Jacksonville, will love and encourage me.  We may not have the opportunity to see each other as often, or even sometimes to speak on the phone as often.  But I know that they think about me, and I think about them. And when we can find time to pick up the phone it will be as if no time has passed at all.

I can't tell you how much my friends and family mean to me, but I'll try.  I've been blessed by so many people who love me, and whom I love equally.  I often wonder what in my life I've done to deserve such wonderful and caring people.  I'm surrounded by people who truly love me unconditionally and without reason.  There are so many times in my life when I have felt overwhelmed by this care, and my cup really does runneth over.  Thank you to all of you who make my life wonderful and complete.  

Comments