Soren is ONE!

We're back in the land of the living here.  Soren and I have been sick for three weeks (including a week in Tuscany, more on that later).  We are finally waking up with clear noses and bright eyes.  Soren very likely had an ear infection last week, which also happened to be when my parents arrived.  Unfortunately for them we were unable to do much, but fortunately for me they were here to help.  My poor boy was not himself, but the last few days have been a marked improvement.

Yesterday was a very special day, it was Soren's first birthday.  And it was lovely.  We had some thin pancakes and scrambled eggs for breakfast and after his first nap we headed into Catania.  The weather was wonderful, blue bird skies and a brilliant sun.  I believe it reached 70.  Soren and I had fun showing his Grandma and Grandpa around the fish and produce markets.  We took him for a birthday treat of almond and chocolate granita, a white cream cornetto, and a cipolino (all very Sicilian, and all very good).  We even took Soren on a little 'train' ride around town.


This was right before a little old Sicilian man
laughed at my Dad's shorts and short sleeves
and gave him a little pat on the butt.  Italians
are wearing down and wool jackets in 70 degree
weather because it is January after all.



That evening we had a wonderful family dinner with pasta alla norma (eggplant and tomato sauce), caponata, and chicken.  We got him a little fruit tart while in Catania.  I wasn't sure if he would like it.  I should have known better.  He devoured that thing!  (Which may have led to a sugar rush/upset tummy last night.  But I'm sure he'd tell you it was worth it.  Though the 4 am wake up call for me was not.)

Overall I think he would call the day a success, and so would I!





Comments