Navy Ball

Every year near the birthday of the Navy the Navy Ball is held.  It's a time for those in the Navy and their significant others to get dressed up and come together for a nice dinner and maybe some dancing.  Patrick and I decided to go this year.  It was the first one we were able to attend and we were looking forward to it.  We decided to go with our good friends, which made all the difference during the night.

The night started with us getting lost.  We went with our friends Nicole and Lew, and we followed another friend.  We decided with the GPS should take the lead, which was a bit of a mistake.  These roads have likely been in existence in one way or another for hundreds of years, but for some reasons GPS's don't seem to work.  I don't think I'll ever understand it.  But to be honest we had a great time, laughing about the route we took and the roads that we were led down.  And eventually we did make it there.

Like anything in the Navy when there is an event there will be speeches and cake cutting.  Those swords that you sometimes see that are related to the Navy?  Yep, they are used for slaying cake.  The speeches were very nice and surprisingly entertaining to listen to.  However, the rest of the night, aside from the great company of our friends, left much to be desired. 

The event was not quite what I had in mind.  Most parties are heavily drenched in booze, and when it comes to Navy events the same holds true.  I think that it's great to let your hair down and have a great time, but not when it involves getting wasted.  I've never really understood that and don't think I ever will.  There were some poor choices being made, and they were not good bad choices. 

Though the ball wasn't exactly what I had in mind  I'm still happy that we went.  It was fun to get dressed up and enjoy a night out with our friends.

Comments

  1. I'm sorry that you didn't have as much fun as expected. On the bright side, you look gorgeous and I am super in love with your dress! We went to the GW ROTC Navy Ball and I have to admit that it made me feel super old to see a bunch of college kids shaking their stuff on the dance floor. We are so lame that we were home by 10:30. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment